PHOTO BY MARK BURLET
Port Orleans Brewing Company on Tchoupitoulas St
The August heat may slow things down a bit for the restaurants of New Orleans, but the breweries are still going strong, with special events taking place throughout the summer swelter. That may have something to do with the cold beverages served therein, but that’s no reason to overlook them. Check out some of the cool beer-filled festivities occurring this month.
- Port Orleans Brewing Company is now offering free tours of their facility on Saturdays and Sundays at noon and 2 p.m. Each tour has a 20 person limit, and is first come, first served only.
- NOLA Brewing Company releases the latest in its Petit Lot sour series on Friday, August 4th. Passion Pit is a barrel-aged sour ale with passion fruit and naranjilla.
- Wayward Owl Brewing is joining forces with Bacchanal for a beer lunch Friday, Aug. 4, at the wine bar’s Bywater location. The four course meal begins at 1:30 p.m. for $35 per person.
The New Orleans area is also welcoming a couple new out-of-state breweries to our bars and retail establishments in August. Combined with the recent surge in local brewers, the addition of these products to our shelves serves to offer the discerning consumer a constantly improving selection of beers.
- Karbach Brewing out of Houston is rolling into town on Thursday, Aug. 3. Cooter Brown’s will be hosting the brewer that evening, starting at 7 p.m., with standards like their Love Street Kolsch and Hopadillo IPA, as well as a few other specialty brews.
- Natchez Brewing Company from Mississippi will debut at their New Orleans launch party on Aug. 21 at Courtyard Brewery. The release will include seven Natchez brews, such as Old Capital IPA, Southern Grace Berliner Weisse, and Blackberry Cronyism, a golden sour flavored with blackberries.