On Dec. 19, 110 years after its doors opened for the first time in 1907, The Jung Hotel & Residences celebrated its grand reopening. In its century-plus-long history, the Jung has changed hands several times — four times from 1971 to 2012 — and closed its doors twice, but it's now under the ownership of The New Orleans Hotel Collection. The local group operates multiple hotels and their affiliated bars and restaurants in the greater New Orleans area, including Bourbon Orleans Hotel and Hotel Mazarin.
The original 10-story structure of the hotel was designed by architecture firm Weiss & Dreyfous. In 1927, the firm changed its name to Weiss, Dreyfous and Seiferth, and designed the Louisiana State Capitol building as well as an 18-story addition to the hotel. The building also hosted New Orleans' WJMR-FM radio station beginning in 1947; the station's 286-foot-tall antenna made the Jung the second-tallest building in the state at the time. The Jung was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and in 2015, MCC Real Estate began restoring the property.
The Jung will feature a restaurant, bar and coffee shop that will be open to the public as well as retail space facing both Canal and Lafayette streets.
There also are three rooftop amenities: a pool and cabana bar that overlook Canal Street on the sixth floor of the building, open to residents and guests; a pool deck reserved for residents only; and a terrace and community center available to residents or for special events. The hotel already has booked several events for the coming year, including groups such as the Professional Women's Network and the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau.
For locals interested in a staycation at the Jung, the hotel offers a special rate on hotel rooms and hotel room upgrades during the first six months of operation. Call (407) 536-2789 or visit the hotel's website to book.