1. C. French Market Place — Gallatin Street was only two blocks long but had a reputation as a headquarters of vice, prostitution and crime in the city in the mid-1800s. The street was renamed French Market Place in 1935.
2. A. William McKinley — He became the first sitting president to visit New Orleans when he came here in May 1901, just four months before he was assassinated.
3. D. Bourbon Orleans Hotel — A free woman of color, Mother Henriette Delille co-founded the Sisters of the Holy Family in 1837. In 1881, the order moved its convent to the former Orleans Ballroom at 717 Orleans Ave. (now the Bourbon Orleans Hotel), also establishing St. Mary's Academy there. Both relocated to Chef Menteur Highway in 1955.
4. A. 1948 — The Desire streetcar line, which ran through the French Quarter, was in operation from 1920 until 1948. Tennessee Williams' Pulitzer Prize-winning play A Streetcar Named Desire, which is set in New Orleans, premiered on Broadway the year before.
5. C. 9. — The green streetcars on the St. Charles line, which dates to 1835, are numbered in the 900s. The riverfront streetcars are in the 400 series, while the RTA's three other lines have cars in the 2000s.
6. D — Florence Graham — Anne Rice, who was given the name Howard Allen Frances O'Brien at birth, used the pen names Anne Rampling and A.N. Roquelaure to write erotic fiction.
7. C. St. Mary's Dominican College — John Kennedy Toole taught English and literature at the now-defunct St. Mary's Dominican College in the early 1960s, about the same time he finished the manuscript for A Confederacy of Dunces.
8. A. Fump and Manny — John "Fump" Flynn opened F&M Patio Bar with his brother-in-law, Emmanuel "Manny" Guillot, in 1947. Guillot, who also owned Manny's Sanitary Supply Co., lived on Tchoupitoulas Street across from the bar.
9. B. Earl King — Ernie and Antoinette K-Doe (and fittingly, K-Doe's mother-in-law, about whom he complained in his hit song) are buried in a tomb in St. Louis Cemetery No. 2 that also contains the remains of songwriter and guitarist Earl King. K-Doe family friend Heather Twichell offered use of her family tomb to them.
10. C. Ray Charles — Ray Charles, a frequent customer of Leah and Dooky Chase's, mentioned the restaurant by name in his 1961 song "Early in the Morning," singing "I went to Dooky Chase's to get something to eat / The waitress looked at me and said, 'Ray, you sure look beat.'"
11. A. Municipal Auditorium — The Coker Room at the Municipal Auditorium was a space used for banquets, parties and receptions. Opened in 1956, it was named after William "Bill" Coker, the facility's general manager for eight years.
12. D. John Boutte — In 2003, singer/songwriter John Boutte wrote "Treme Song," which he performed as the theme for the HBO series. He told
The Times-Picayune he wrote the song while living in Treme and witnessing a jazz funeral at St. Augustine Church.
13. B. Studio A — In the 1960s, future D.A. Harry Connick Sr. and his wife Anita, a future judge, ran Studio A record shop at 6266 Marshal Foch St. off Harrison Avenue. The income helped put both of them through law school.
14. A. St. Dominic Church — John Chase designed the large stained glass window over the Harrison Avenue entrance to St. Dominic. It depicts "The Transfiguration," showing Jesus Christ between figures of Moses and Elijah.
15. C. Harrison Avenue — A statue of Mother Cabrini, who lived and worked in New Orleans, is located on the neutral ground near Canal Boulevard and Harrison Avenue. It was placed there in 1949 by the Order of Alhambra.
16. B. Joe "King" Oliver — Joe "King" Oliver, who was Louis Armstrong's mentor, wrote "West End Blues" and was the first to record it.
17. A. C. Ray Nagin — Clarkson and Nagin were classmates at O. Perry Walker in Algiers.
18. D. Martin Behrman — Martin Behrman was mayor for 17 years, serving four consecutive terms from 1904 to 1920. He was elected to a fifth term in 1925. He died a year later in his Algiers home, where he lived for most of his life.
19. C. Victory Drive — Gen. Charles DeGaulle, the French president and military leader during World War II, visited New Orleans in 1960 and was present when Victory Drive in Algiers was dedicated in his honor.
20. B. Maharajah — Longtime Alla krewe captain and float builder Blaine Kern said the tradition of calling the king and queen Maharajah and Maharanee dates to 1978. Kern said since the name of the krewe (which stands for Algiers, La.) sounds like it comes from a different part of the world, Alla, founded in 1932, decided to change the monarch's titles as well, to breathe new life into the club.