Ralph Brennan will buy Napoleon House (500 Chartres St., 504-524-9752; www.napoleonhouse.com), the French Quarter landmark owned and run by the Impastato family since 1914. Proprietor Sal Impastato chose to sell the building and restaurant to Brennan, according to a press release.
The barroom at Napoleon House has long been known for its Pimm's Cup, preference for classical music and tables perched at open French doors, offering views of French Quarter traffic.
Ralph Brennan and partner Terry White acquired the landmark Brennan's (417 Royal St., 504-525-9711; www.brennansneworleans.com) in late spring 2013 and reopened it in November 2014 after a substantial renovation. The Ralph Brennan Restaurant Group (www.neworleans-food.com) owns several area restaurants, including Red Fish Grill, Cafe B, Heritage Grill and Cafe NOMA. Brennan also acquired a historic property when he opened his namesake Ralph's on the Park (900 City Park Ave., 504-488-1000; www.ralphsonthepark.com). That property was built in 1860 and served as a coffee house and concession stand across from an entrance to New Orleans City Park.
The historic French Quarter building was built as a home for New Orleans Mayor Nicholas Girod, who reportedly offered it as a residence for Napoleon Bonaparte during his exile.