This week we travel back 60 years to the opening of the first span of what we now call the Crescent City Connection, the bridge that links the East and West Banks. Originally called the Greater New Orleans Bridge, the $65 million toll bridge opened to traffic at 12:01 a.m. on April 15, 1958, following three years of construction but six months ahead of schedule. Official dedication ceremonies followed in October of that year. At the time, it was the longest cantilever bridge in the world, with a 35-cent toll. In May 1964, newly inaugurated Gov. John J. McKeithen honored a campaign promise to remove the toll. Construction on the second span, which cost $500 million, began in 1981 and was finished in September 1988. A year later, the bridge was renamed the Crescent City Connection, which was among the names submitted in a contest. Tolls went back on the bridge in 1989 but were removed in 2013 after a voter referendum.