This week marks the 50th anniversary of one of New Orleans' most beautiful spaces — Longue Vue House and Gardens — opening to the public. The 8-acre estate was the home of philanthropists Edgar and Edith Stern, who worked with landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman and architects William and Geoffrey Platt to design and build the house and gardens, located on Bamboo Road. Work on the gardens began in 1935 and the home, was completed in 1942. It is named for a tea room on New York's Hudson River, where the Sterns were engaged to be married. Soon after Edgar died in 1959, Edith formed a foundation to oversee the gardens and open them to public view. Longue Vue formally opened to the public on March 14, 1968. The house opened as a museum in 1980, the year Edith died. The gardens were decimated by the levee failures following Hurricane Katrina, but thanks to volunteers and horticulture groups, Longue Vue was reopened in July 2006. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.