No longer the refuge for millions of teen meme hoarders and stoner GIF "artists," the microblogging website Tumblr is the offbeat cousin of Twitter and Facebook. It's more than a link dump — look to it for the weirder overflow from GQ, NPR and Mother Jones, outtakes from couture T Magazine photoshoots — and dozens of New Orleans-centric blogs. Search for "New Orleans" and see what people are talking about — or take a look at 10 Tumblr pages doing the talking:
• Big-Easy (big-easy.tumblr.com) — This photo blog scans the web for some of the best shots of the city.
• Community Records (communityrecords.tumblr.com) — The local record label collective updates from the road with tour diaries, slideshows, free music downloads and news.
• Constance (weareconstance.tumblr.com) — The arts publisher highlights local artists at home and abroad.
• Defend New Orleans (defendneworleans.tumblr.com) — Highlights from pieces on the city's culture, food, music and politics.
• Dining in NOLA (dinnola.tumblr.com) — Short reviews and food features covering the restaurant and bar scene.
• NOLA Fashion Week (nolafw.tumblr.com) — The event's blog covers local designers.
• NOLA Food Porn (nolafoodporn.tumblr.com) — Mouth-watering pictures submitted to this blog border on obscene and sample a range of New Orleans restaurants.
• NOLA Hollywood (nolahollywood.tumblr.com) — Devoted to underground hip-hop and fashion scenes in New Orleans.
• Saints11 (saints11.tumblr.com) — The city's sole outlet dedicated to regular long-form sports writing about the New Orleans Saints.
• WTUL (wtul.tumblr.com) — The Tulane-based progressive radio station previews new music and upcoming events and concerts, with station news and DJ profiles.
Entertainment and Nightlife
Food and Drink
Goods and Services
Best Answers That Didn't Win
The Best Reasons to Reject a Friend Request
Best Thrift Stores Outside Orleans Parish That Are Worth the Trip
Best Dashboard Confessionals
Best Way to Enjoy Brunch