BLACKLIGHT RUN, VIA FACEBOOK
Runners are showered with glow-in-the-dark paint at the Blacklight Run, which holds an event in Metairie next week.
Each week this summer, the New Orleans Exercist brings you news and events for active living in the Big Easy.
This week: how to squeeze in a workout before and after the barbecue
- Have you always dreamed of kicking off the Fourth of July with an early-morning 4-miler before the hot dog eating contest
? Covington running club the 15th Street Flyers
has what you’re looking for: Four on the 4th
, a 4-mile race with a subsequent bikini run (America!). It's at Hubie Gallagher Park (1000 W. 15th Ave., Covington) at 7:30 a.m. Saturday (July 4). Red, white and blue attire is encouraged, and there's also a half-mile run for kids. Registration
is $35, or $8 for kids.
- Hit refresh on a long weekend with power yoga instructor Lauren McCabe, who teaches the final week of Hot Yoga, Cold Beer
at NOLA Brewing (3001 Tchoupitoulas St.; www.nolabrewing.com
) on Tuesday (July 7).
- The third race in NOTC’s Summer Series
at the City Park Festival Grounds on Wednesday (July 8). Runners who aren't members of NOTC pay $5 for a 2-mile run with beer, water and snacks after.
- The Blacklight Run
– a garish cross between a glow-in-the-dark highlighter party and the Color Run, where participants are showered with colored paint – comes to Zephyr Field in Metairie next Friday night (July 10). Registration is already sold out, but it’s not too late to pick up some raver-approved swag
, including trucker hats and neon tutus.
- One of New Orleans’ signature events, Running of the Bulls
, is coming up next Saturday (July 11). Basic registration
is $15, and there’s also VIP options and a Friday-night kickoff party. You don’t know motivation until you’ve been chased by a roller derby woman with bull horns and a (plastic) baseball bat.
Submit fitness news and events to the New Orleans Exercist at email@example.com.