The food at French Quarter Festival seems to get better and more diverse each year as new vendors join the fray. But some of the restaurateurs and caterers setting up in the French Quarter and by the riverside beginning this afternoon have been part of the festival for quite some time, and their offerings have become touchstone tastes of the French Quarter Festival experience. Here are five I always seem to hit each year:
- Vaucresson Sausage Co.'s crawfish sausage po-boy, with crawfish embedded in pork, served in Jackson Square
- Praline crème brulee from Flour Power Confectionary has sugared crunch over buttery-smooth body, served at Woldenberg Park
- The crawfish and goat cheese crepes from Muriel's Jackson Square disappear off the plate impossibly fast, served in Jackson square
- Praline Connection's grilled chicken livers with pepper jelly and mustard greens are rich, smoky, sweet and spicy, served at Woldenberg Park
- Crawfish remoulade from Barreca's (3100 Metairie Rd., 831-4546), the Metairie restaurant that since Katrina is open only for banquets, is a flavorful twist on the cool classic, served in Woldenberg Park
Here's the full list of this year's food vendors, and a festival map of the stages and food vendor areas.