• New Orleans — Regional Transit Authority (RTA), 504-248-3900; www.norta.com
• Jefferson Parish (East Bank and West Bank) — Jefferson Transit (JeT ), 504-818-1077; www.jeffersontransit.org
• Chalmette — St. Bernard Urban Rapid Transit (SBURT), 504-277-1907; www.sbgp.net
Note: These providers work independently of each other, and no transfers are available from one provider to another. If you ride an RTA bus then catch a JeT or SBURT bus, you'll have to pay a separate fare.
Each of these RTA buses (read the names on the front of the bus) stops on or directly outside of college campuses in New Orleans. Google Transit provides accurate directions to and from places serviced by the RTA.
• University of New Orleans (UNO): Elysian Fields, Hayne and St. Bernard Avenue buses
• Tulane and Loyola universities: Freret and South Claiborne buses, and the St. Charles Avenue streetcar
• Dillard University: Broad bus
• Xavier University: Tulane, Leonidas and Louisiana buses
Tip: Consider buying a one-day bus pass if you plan to make several stops or will be out for a long time.
• Lakeside Shopping Center (3301 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Metairie, 504-835-8000; www.lakesideshopping.com) has a bustling food court and 120 stores and boutiques from national and local retailers. Catch the Canal streetcar to the cemeteries, then take JeT's Veterans bus to get there.
• Clearview Mall (4436 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Metairie, 504-452-7289; www.clear- viewmall.com) has a movie theater, a Target and about 60 other stores, restaurants and more. You can get here by taking JeT's Veterans bus via the Canal streetcar.
• Oakwood Center (197 Westbank Expwy., Gretna, 504-361-1550; www.-oakwoodcenter.com) is a lot like Lakeside Shopping Center, except Oakwood has an Old Navy. JeT's Lapalco, Westbank Expressway and Terrytown buses all go from downtown New Orleans to the West Bank, where this mall is located. When you approach Wilty Terminal, the mall is directly across the street.
• Riverwalk Marketplace (500 Port of New Orleans Place, 504-522-1555; www.riverwalkmarketplace.com) will be an outlet mall soon. The Canal streetcar and Elysian Fields, Marigny-Bywater and South Claiborne buses can get you there.
• The Shops at Canal Place (333 Canal St., 504-522-9200; www.theshops-atcanalplace.com) is known for its lounge-esque movie theater (you can dine and get wine there), Anthropologie, Saks Fifth Avenue and other high-end retailers. There also are stores friendly to college students' wallets. Get here via the Canal streetcar and Elysian Fields, Marigny-Bywater and South Claiborne buses.
These are traditional grocery stores that are close to campus and affordable for college students. Buy a one-day pass so you have time to browse. Catch these buses directly from campus.
• From UNO: Hayne bus to Rouses (6600 Franklin Ave., 504-288-1600; www.-shoprouses.com) at the corner of Leon C. Simon Boulevard and Franklin Avenue
• From Tulane and Loyola universities: South Claiborne bus or St. Charles streetcar to Robert Fresh Market (8115 S. Claiborne Ave., 504-488-0536) at the corner of South Claiborne and South Carrollton avenues. The streetcar also goes past the new Fresh Market (3338 St. Charles Ave., 504-895-5160; www.thefreshmarket.com) or ride the St. Charles Avenue streetcar to Joseph Street, and it's a 15-minute walk to Whole Foods Market (5600 Magazine St., 504-899-9119; www.wholefoodsmarket.com)
• From Dillard University: Broad bus to Winn-Dixie (4600 Chef Menteur Hwy., 947-2101; www.winndixie.com), which is right past Louisa Street after Gentilly Boulevard becomes Chef Menteur Highway.
• From Xavier University: Leonidas bus to Rouses (400 N. Carrollton Ave., 504-488-2129) in Mid-City.
• Walmart (1901 Tchoupitoulas St., 504-522-4142; www.walmart.com) can be reached on the Jackson-Esplanade or Tchoupitoulas buses.
Note: There are other Walmarts serviced by JeT and SBURT, but you have to pay a separate fare to ride those buses.
• Chalmette Movies (8700 W. Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette, 504-304-9903) is a locally owned and operated theater that hosts limited-run movies and special screenings in addition to movies currently showing in theaters around the country. Catch the St. Claude bus to the SBURT to get there.
• Prytania Theatre (5339 Prytania St., 504-891-2787; www.theprytania.- com) is a locally owned and operated theater that shows current movies, but it's known for its classic movie screenings on Sunday and Wednesday mornings, and its midnight showings of cult classics on Friday and Saturday. The best way to get there is via the St. Charles Avenue streetcar, especially if you are a Tulane or Loyola student and want to catch a midnight movie.
• The Theatres at Canal Place (The Shops at Canal Place, 333 Canal St., third floor, 504-581-5400; www.thetheatres.-com) serves gourmet movie snacks as well as entrees and has adult beverages and assigned seating. It's in The Shops at Canal Place, so you can get there via the Canal streetcar or Elysian Fields, Marigny-Bywater or South Claiborne buses.
• AMC Palace 12 (Clearview Mall, 4486 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Metairie, 888-262-4386; www.amctheatres.com) shows general-release films and is really close to a Dollar Tree with $1 snacks and soda. It's in the Clearview Mall, on JeT's Veterans line (see directions under Malls).
• AMC Palace 16 (1151 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey, 888-262-4386; www.-amctheatres.com) on the West Bank has a coffee stand and cocktail bar as well as regular concessions. It's serviced by JeT's Lapalco bus.
• A Service Cab (504-834-1400)
• Coleman Cab (504-586-0222)
• Metry Cab (504-835-4242; www.metrycab.com)
• United Cab (504-522-9771; www.unitedcabs.com)
• Westbank Cab Company (504-368-3300)
• White Fleet (504-822-3800)
• Yellow-Checker (504-943-2411)
Note: Be sure you know the complete address, not just the intersection, of where you are located before calling a cab to take you back to campus. If hailing a cab isn't working, you usually can find one outside hotels and casinos.
• Bike Taxi Unlimited (504-891-3441; www.neworleansbiketaxi.com)
• Need a Ride Pedicabs (504-488-6565; www.needaridenola.com)
• NOLA Pedicabs (504-274-1300; www.nolapedicabs.com)
• Bike Bus (www.bikebusnola.com) is a website that combines public transit and biking directions. Bike Easy (504-861-4022; www.bikeeasy.org) lists bike paths and helps riders understand bicycling in New Orleans.
• Where Ya' Rack? (www.whereya- rack.org) has a map of bike racks in the greater New Orleans area.
Note: With the exception of streetcars, all public transit vehicles in the greater New Orleans area can carry bikes.