by Kevin Allman
I'm hearing terrible things about the evacuation on I-59 around Hattiesburg, Miss., where it sounds like things are falling apart completely:
I am livid with the information we are receiving from the authorities and the media about traffic on I-59. We left our home at 3:45am and didn't get to Hattiesburg until 1:00pm. The contraflow, which we took, was a joke. It only lasted about 10 miles or so, and was bumper-to-bumper from start to finish.
And authorities and media keep saying how wonderful contraflow is and keep downplaying the reports by drivers that there is serious traffic problems on I-59. It is irresponsible and potentially fatal to families to continue to tell them to evacuate at this time and to tell them that it is safe to go down I-59. People will run out of gas. People will not even be able to outrun the storm at this point.
It is a travesty. They are lying. And I'm tired and angry.
- Contraflow on 59 is the superdome of gustav.
- Ends around hattiesburg. Pointless. Slowing us down.
- Bottlenecking 5 lanes into 2
- Finally hit hattiesburg. 13 hrs on road. Cant go more.
- Looking 4 a hotel. Need miracle.
And most worrisome, Humid City Loki, over a 4-hour period stuck in traffic:
- Contraflow east is gustavs superdome
- Cell dying turning off
- Need help in hattiesberg dm me
- Need help in hattiesburg, dm me
- Phone dying need temp ac 4 animals
What's going on in Hattiesburg? Where is the help?